Earth Day Activity: Upcycle Your Plastic Eggs
Happy Earth Day! A great way to celebrate Earth Day is to upcycle your plastic eggs that you probably have laying all over the house or the kids rooms leftover from last week's egg hunts. One way to upcycle these eggs it to make egg shakers or maracas - we do this every year as a Stroller Strides Stay & Play playgroup and the kids love it!
Making egg shakers is fun for kids of all ages and adults! If you want to make maracas that's easy, too, just make your eggs with and tape your spoons around the eggs.
Use these DIY instruments to make music with your kids - they are great for on-the-go entertainment, fun at Stroller Strides, and family dance parties! Music can help children improve social skills, integrate learning, and improve memory. Use the shakers along with music and watch your child learn. We love the Shake! Egg Shaker Song by We Kids Rock or any song that gets your bodies moving!
What you will need:
- Empty plastic eggs
- Bird seed
- Empty bin
- Washi Tape or Glue
- Scooper (spoon or small cup)
- Place the bird seed in a large bin and before making your eggs, enjoy some sensory play by scooping, dumping, and exploring the bird seed - do this activity outside and the birds will cleanup for you!
- Fill the empty eggs with the bird seed using the scooper (1/3 full)
- Close the egg and wrap the washi tape around it - be sure to cover any holes and decorate how you see fit!
- Now you have shakers to shake with the music!
Bonus activity with leftover bird seed: Make a bird feeder!
What you will need
- Leftover bird seed from shakers
- Toilet paper roll
- Nut butter
- Spread the peanut butter all over the toilet paper roll
- Gently roll the toilet paper roll in the bird seed
- Tie the rope through the toilet paper roll and hang on a tree
Join us for FIT4MOM class & playdates!
We had a blast with this sensory play & egg shaker craft after Stroller Strides last week! Join us weekly for playdates, workouts for moms, and more!