5 Books to Celebrate Native American Heritage Month
"Native American Heritage Month celebrates rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories to acknowledge the important contributions of Native people”, according to the National Congress of American Indians.
At FIT4MOM, we see this as the perfect time to introduce education and thoughtful conversation with our kiddos! Raising kind humans starts when they’re little and we believe that education is key. Try honoring and celebrating Native American Heritage Month by checking out these books or trying out these ideas below!
- Explore our Tampa Bay region (idea: Phillippe Park in Pinellas)
- Learn the real history of Native Americans / Indigenous Peoples in America
- Help kids understand that there were and are many different Native tribes and cultures
- Learn about (and even try!) authentic Native food and recipes
- Make respectful native crafts (Native Headdress are not respectful)
- Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story, by Kevin Noble Maillard (@noblemaillard)
- We Are Water Protectors, by Carole Lindstrom (@carolelindstrom)
- Thunder Boy Jr., by Sherman Alexie (@shermanalexie.official)
- Jingle Dancer, by Cynthia Leitich Smith (@cynthialeitichsmith)
- My Heart Fills with Happiness, by Monique Gray Smith (@moniquegraysmith)
For more resources, visit https://nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov